Job title: Junior Scientist in Land Use System Modeling
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Application deadline: 30 September 2014
Full details: Junior Scientist in Land Use System Modeling
Description: WASCAL is seeking to fill the position of Junior Scientist in Junior Scientist in Land Use System modeling at the Competence Center (CC) of WASCAL in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The closing date for applications is September 30, 2014. WASCAL encourages women to apply for this position.
WASCAL has its headquarters in Accra, Ghana from where it coordinates 10 graduate schools at different universities in the region. WASCAL also has a Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, where it manages the climate research activities.
In WASCAL, we are dedicated to the integrated assessment of socio-cultural, economic and environmental effects of land use and land use changes under climate change. A main aim of integration in WASCAL is to (a) consult policies for CC adaptation including also a sensitivity analysis of competing environmental and land use policies and (b) to put the knowledge gathered by different disciplines in highly consistent way into action. Therefore, WASCAL seeks to employ integrated assessment modeling (IAM) to link disciplinary research findings with a focus on vulnerability-resilience-climate risk assessment.
The position will be based at the Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
The main tasks of this position are:
- Evaluate different integrated modeling approaches that support the assessment of environmental policies on the functioning and resilience of socio-ecological systems at different scales.
- Contribute to the development of standards for harmonizing different knowledge types as basis for integrating modeling.
- Develop participation strategies at different scales for supporting integrative modelling and impact assessment
- Develop scenarios combining qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Supervision of Doctoral and Msc. students from WASCAL partner countries.
This research should be based on integrated modeling and consider social, economic, environmental and policy dimensions, and develop a multi-scale approach.
Qualification and experience
- Doctoral degree in computer science, environmental – natural, geography, agriculture, or economics or related subjects is required
- Methodological knowledge in participatory modelling
- GIS and geostatistics
- Data base management
- Considerable experience in networking with regional and national agencies is expected.
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluency in English and conversant in French.