Job title: Junior Scientist in Integrated Modeling of Human-Environment System
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Application deadline: 30 September 2014
Full details: Junior Scientist in Integrated Modeling of Human-Environment System
Description: WASCAL is seeking to fill the position of Junior Scientist in Integrated Modeling of Human-Environment System. The position will be based at the Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The closing date for applications is September 30, 2014. WASCAL encourages women to apply for this position.
WASCAL (West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use) is a research and education-focused institute designed to help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of ten West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL has its headquarters in Accra, Ghana from where it coordinates 10 graduate schools at different universities in the region. WASCAL also has a Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, where it manages the climate research activities.
In WASCAL, we are dedicated to the integrated assessment of socio-cultural, economic and environmental effects of land use and land use changes under climate change. A main aim of integration in WASCAL is to (a) consult policies for CC adaptation including also a sensitivity analysis of competing environmental and land use policies and (b) to put the knowledge gathered by different disciplines in highly consistent way into action. Therefore, WASCAL seeks to employ integrated assessment modeling (IAM) to link disciplinary research findings with a focus on vulnerability-resilience-climate risk assessment.
The position will be based at the Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
The main tasks of this position are:
- Develop a generic and multi-point of view meta-model for supporting integrative modelling and impact assessment in the context of pluridisciplinary organization, multiple users, and data limitation
- Use the meta-model to develop a new generation of coupled components model (CCM) for multi-scale scale simulation.
- Contribute to the development of scenarios combining qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Apply the model on two cases study at local and global level
- Contribute to the development of a semantic web for harmonizing and integrating different knowledge types as basis for integrating modeling
- Supervision of Doctoral and Msc. students from WASCAL partner countries.
This research should consider pluridisciplinary approach, multi-scale and multi-formalism simulation.
Qualification and experience
- Doctoral degree in software engineering .
- Complex system modeling will be an advantage
- Data base management
- Ontology and semantic web development
- Considerable experience in networking with regional and national agencies is expected.
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluency in English and conversant in French.