Application deadline: 19 May 2017
Website/full details: Climate Expert (Monrovia, Liberia)
Description: Solidaridad West Africa (SWA) is offering a challenging job opportunity in an inspiring international setting for a Senior Climate Expert. SWA is intensifying its activities in climate change with particular focus on adaptation, climate-smart agriculture and benefit sharing with agricultural land users.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Climate Expert, among other things, will be responsible for the following activities:
- The development and implementation of the regional climate strategy, in close coordination with Solidaridad Network’s global Climate Task Force. Main thematic areas include the development and monitoring of adaptation and mitigation strategies in our commodity and landscape projects.
- In addition, the expert is expected to pay attention to the development and implementation of “benefit sharing mechanisms” to bridge the gap between climate finance and (agricultural) producer livelihoods.
- As a data-driven organization, the Senior Climate Expert will take the lead in measuring producer performance and developing innovative monitoring tools to measure climate performance.
- Liaise between the climate change community (where tools and systems are developed), the IT and PME department of Solidaridad (that integrate climate parameters in monitoring systems) and the practitioners on the ground (who work with agricultural producers – our main target group).
- Play key role in providing expertise, engaging with policy actors, raising funds (includes new project proposals), developing and coordinating the efforts of the regional team relating to climate-smart initiatives, programmes, projects and activities.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership in all climate change related topics within the Solidaridad expertise centres in West Africa, East/Central Africa and Southern Africa. This calls for close working collaboration with the directors of the three regions.
- Provide technical backstopping to each of Solidaridad’s regional climate teams as may be necessary for the attainment of planned annual objectives and activities in line with the respective regions’ multi-annual strategic plans.
- The Senior Climate Expert is a member of the Solidaridad Network Climate Change (Innovation) task force and will operate from Monrovia (Liberia) given the enormous opportunities to attract climate investments into West Africa since Liberia is one of the highest bio-diverse hotspots in West Africa.
REQUIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE
- A higher degree (Master’s level and above) in Agriculture, Forestry, Environment/Climate Science, Natural Resource Management, or other related specializations.
- At least five years proven experience (within national and international settings) in climate-smart agriculture and/or agriculture-related avoided deforestation (REDD+) projects / programmes
- Experience in implementing and monitoring climate-smart agriculture projects, preferably with an adaptation focus
- Familiarity with national or regional climate change initiatives (REDD+, national action plans), and global UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the Green Climate Fund and/or the World Bank Group climate funds is desirable
- Knowledge and experience in working with government and donor agencies
- Proposal writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work proactively in complex projects with staff within different time zones and a multi-cultural environment
- Strong communication skills with a good command of the English language (oral and written)
- Creative and pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Well organized and results oriented
Report to: Regional Director based in Ghana
Duty station: Monrovia, Liberia