Title: Country Director, Madagascar and West Indian Ocean
Application deadline: 17 December 2013
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Website/full details: Country Director, Madagascar and West Indian Ocean
I. Mission of the Role
To develop and lead a high performing WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Country Office so that it is highly influential; plays a leadership role in the WWF network; is able to shape the conservation agenda of WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean to deliver on WWF’s global priorities at national, regional and global level.
II. Major Functions
- Leads the vision, strategic planning and institutional development of WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Country Office as the leading conservation INGO nationally, regionally and globally.
- Accountable for the management of WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Country Office and ensure it is managed effectively and efficiently in all key programme areas – Programme, Finance and Administration, People & Development, Partnership Development, and Communications – achieving WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean’s vision and KPIs.
- Provides effective leadership and line management for all members of senior management team;
- Provides thought leadership on key issues at national level and manages key partnerships including national Government to ensure optimal communication and mutually beneficial relationships are established and maintained.
- Promotes the vision and objectives of the WWF Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Strategic Plan to external and WWF stakeholders, and participates in strategic partnership-building / fundraising approaches to them in coordination with all stakeholders as appropriate.
- At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role, 3-5 years of which should be in the Madagascar and West Indian Ocean Country office region, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams.
- A proven leader with the capability of growing an organization’s impact and building future leadership and talent in the organization;
- High level negotiation, collaborating and influencing skills and the capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels in the business, not-for-profit, scientific and political communities;
- Have networks at the highest levels of Government and Business;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to represent an organization at arrange of local and international fora, in the media and with the general public;
- Very strategic and demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating strategic plans;
- Track record of building organizational talent by nurturing performance culture and encouraging empowerment and delegation;
- Decisive, courageous and resilient;
- Passion for conservation and WWF’s mandate;
- Committed to equal opportunity employment policies;
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
Please see attached job description for more details.