Job Title: Attorney: Pollution & Climate Change Programme
Company: Centre for Environmental Rights
Location: Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa
Application deadline: 31 July 2013
Website/Full details: Attorney: Pollution & Climate Change Programme
Description: The Centre for Environmental Rights is now accepting applications for a one year pilot contract as Attorney in our Pollution & Climate Change programme, starting on 1 September 2013 at the Centre’s offices in Observatory, Cape Town.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification, plus a tertiary qualification in environmental law
- Admission as attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Post-qualification experience in High Court litigation, particularly Constitutional and administrative law (experience in environmental litigation will be an advantage)
- A sound knowledge of the law applicable to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental impacts of coal-based energy generation
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs, and a commitment to high quality client service
- Providing hands-on expert legal advice, support and representation to the Centre’s clients, including communities and civil society organisations, on matters related to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental impacts of coal-based energy generation.
- Providing support in litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft environmental policies and legislation.
- Facilitating the upload of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
- Training and overseeing the work of legal interns and candidate attorneys at the Centre.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
All applications for this position must:
- include a cover letter (1-2 pages) explaining why you think you have the right qualifications, skills and experience for the position, as advertised
- include a curriculum vitae (3-5 pages), that also lists at least three references with up-to-date contact details
- include at least one written letter of reference, not more than 6 months old
- include academic transcripts for all tertiary qualifications
- be sent to email@example.com, and must include your name and the vacancy reference number (Ref No. CERR3/2013) in the email subject line.
Closing date: 31 July 2013