Title: Africa Seed Grants Program
Application deadline: 4 November 2013
Organisation: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo/Cleveland Zoological Society
Website/full details: Africa Seed Grants Program
Description: With generous support from the Cleveland Zoological Society, the Africa Seed Grants Program provides funds to support field conservation and research projects in Africa. Annual awards ranging from $1000 to $3500 will be made to conservation and research initiatives involving wildlife and their habitats, and educational or cultural activities that involve or impact wildlife and their habitats. Ideal projects have clear and direct conservation impact, positively affect local people and create opportunities for capacity building in country.
Projects focusing on the following areas of special interest to the Zoo are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Wildlife protection (law enforcement, illegal wildlife trade issues, etc.)
- Human wildlife conflict mitigation
- Development and promotion of sustainable environmental practices
- Habitat protection and restoration (terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems)
- Capacity-building, education/training, community-based conservation and development
- Conservation biology, ecology and natural history studies (terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems)
Species/taxa based projects that focus on species within the Zoo’s collection will be given priority.