Dates: 17 June 2014
Website/full details: World Day to Combat Desertification 2014
Description: The theme of 2014 World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) is ecosystem-based adaptation. With the slogan ‘Land Belongs to the Future, Let’s Climate Proof It’, the 2014 WDCD highlights the benefits of mainstreaming sustainable land management policies and practices into our collective response to climate change. Sustainable land management increases both community and ecosystem resilience while improving the human condition particularly in the drylands.
The objectives of the 2014 WDCD are to:
1. Increase the attention given to land and soil within climate change adaptation
2. Mobilize support for sustainable land management
3. Call for the inclusion of land and soil and their significance in food security into national climate change adaptation policies.
The 2014 WDCD campaign kicked off on African Environment Day – Wangari Maathai Day on 3 March in Lesotho. The event was also combined with the observance of the UN Decade for Desert and the Fight against Desertification (2010-2020).
The events planned for the global observance include:
- various exhibitions
- the announcement of the 2014 Land for Life Award winners
- announcement of the 2014 National Drylands Champions
- release of videos and infographics