Venue: United Nations offices
Register: International Workshop on Open Data for Science and Sustainability in Developing Countries
Description: Over the past decade, the Task Group on Preservation of and Access to Scientific and Technical Data in Developing Countries (PASTD) has focused on promoting and enhancing the worldwide cooperation in ICTs and research data and in developing open knowledge environments for international science and sustainability in developing countries. Several international workshops and training sessions toward these goals in many areas of the developing world had been held, including in Brazil, South Africa, China, Mongolia and Cuba, including many regional country participants. PASTD is organized under the Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) and the International Council for Science (ICSU), both located in Paris, France.
PASTD is pleased to announce that it is organizing its next meeting, the International Workshop on Open Data for Science and Sustainability in Developing Countries (also referred to as Open Data in Developing Countries, or OpenDataDC), on 6－8 August 2014, at the United Nations Offices in Nairobi, Kenya. The workshop will be jointly organized with the World Federation of Engineering Organization, Communication and Information Committee(WFEO-CIC), the Ministry of Communication and Information of Kenya (MCIK), and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Several other organizations are partners in this activity. The confirmed organizations are listed below and others are welcome to participate.
The workshop will be a special opportunity to present the accomplishments in improving access to and use of research data and in reducing the digital divide since the World Summit on Information Society (WSIS), held in Geneva 2003 and Tunis 2005, as well as the programs of each of the partners. The workshop will be preceded by a 2-day technical training session (4-5 August 2014) for young scientists in good data management practices.
- CODATA Task Group on Preservation of and Access to Scientific and Technical Data in/for/with Developing Countries (CODATA PASTD）
- Communication and Information Committee, World Federation of Engineering Organization (WFEO-CIC)
- Ministry of Communication and Information of Kenya(MCIK)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya (JKUAT)
- International Council for Sciences Regional Office for Africa (ICSU ROA)
- World Data System of the International Council for Sciences (WDS/ICSU)
- The Group on Earth Observations (GEO)
- International Cartographic Association Commission on Geoinformation (GI) for Sustainability
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS)
- International Society of Digital Earth (ISDE)
- Research Data Alliance (RDA) The African Scientific Institute (ASI)
- CODATA (CAS, Beijing)
- USA National Committee for CODATA