SAQA US ID 119557: Operate waste disposal facilities
NQF Level 2: 6 Credits Purpose of the course
Purpose of the course
This course forms part of the qualification, Level 2 National Certificate in Environmental Practice, which aims to teach learners about protecting and managing our natural resources, while also using them in a sustainable way to promote social and economic development. This includes managing our waste or refuse (rubbish) in a responsible way to minimise any negative effects on people and the environment.
“Operate waste disposal facilities” is an elective module, which means that you have chosen this module because it relates to the type of work that you do. You can be assessed against this unit standard in the context of any waste handling activity.
This module is based on the Unit Standard Number 119557, entitled “Operate waste disposal facilities”, Level 2, and worth 6 credits on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
At the completion of this course you will be able to:
- Apply the appropriate disposal method for each category of waste
- Control and direct movement of vehicles on the waste disposal site
- Control access and monitor the flow of incoming materials to a waste facility
- Recognise and report threats or damage to health, safety or the environment
- Compile relevant records to waste disposal.
You will also know and understand:
- Principles and concepts related to waste management and their application in practice
- Methods of waste disposal
- Environmental pollution
- Waste classification and steps in managing waste
- Waste management laws in South Africa
- Waste treatment and disposal
- Waste facility types and staffing
- Operating a waste facility safely
- Monitoring a waste facility, reporting and remedial action
- Completing records and document control